Puss filled bumps on her skin? PICS

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
I noticed these bumps on Giblet's skin last night. They look like zits that have popped and they are only on her neck. I've checked the rest of her body and there is nothing. She is acting normal, eating, preening, dustbathing, etc. Her eyes are clear, she is breathing normal, etc.
I seperated her from everyone but she flipped out and I'm afraid she'll hurt herself (she made a flying leap through her brooder roof and onto our bar... I'm afraid next time she'll fall) so I put her back with everyone... for now.
I mixed some Fura Zone with Corona (you horse people know what I'm talking about) and smeared it on her neck because I'm thinking it might be fly bites?
Anyone know what this could be? Nobody else has this on them.
Giblet002.jpg

Giblet004.jpg

Boy, I don't know. I'm trying to research this for you, but in the mean time I hope someone will step up who has had to deal with something like this.

I've searched my Chicken Health Handbook and it looks and sounds like it might be Dry Pox. The pictures look the same. Here is what the book says about the symptoms:
Symptoms - in birds of all ages, except newly hatched chicks: raised clear or whitish wart-like bumps on comb and wattles that grow larger, turn yellowish, and later become reddish brown, gray, or black bleeding scabs appearing singly, in clusters, or clumping together; scabs fall off to form smooth scars; sometimes scabs spread to eyelids, unfeathered areas of head and neck , vent area, feet, or legs; retarded growth or weight loss (sores around eyes inhibit feeding), drop in egg production

I don't see any of the spots in the pictures on the comb, but the part that caught my attention was the "unfeathered areas of head and neck". I don't know if the chickens would have to have the pox on their combs or not. I will look some more for you.​

Gumpsgirl,
I thought about pox. I've been through that before but it was very bad with this hen- so bad that both her eyes were crusted over and I had to hand feed and water her for two weeks.
Chickens003-1.jpg

For Daisy, I kept the area moist with Fura Zone and dropped eye solution on her eye scabs many times a day. Then one day, I saw one of the scabs coming off, so I yanked it off and there was her eye! The skin was pink and still a little tender, but a day or two later, the other side came off. I called the vet and he said she was fine to go outside, so outside she went. It was quite an ordeal but she made it through fine and dandy.
As far as Giblet, I don't see anything on her eyes (thank goodness!!!) or on her comb. It's a little hard to see with her black skin, but I'm keeping an eye on her and keeping her neck moist with a combination of Fura Zone and Corona (Corona keeps the flies away).

Holy cow, she did have it bad! That looks terrible, bless her heart.
sad.png

I just don't know what else it could be. I searched my whole book and read on several different sites and couldn't pin point anything but pox that had blisters like that. Have you asked the chicken doctor about it yet (www.featherfanciers.com)? He would probably be able to help you, especially if you post pics. I do hope you get it figured out though. If you do, please let us all know, will you?
smile.png

CarriBrown,

You may know this already, but it's worth mentioning just in case you don't: Furazone shouldn't be handled by humans with bare hands, esp. women. It is a suspected carcinogen that attacks the uterus, ovaries, and breast tissues of mammals.

Here is a link explaining it's general toxicity and efficacy in both livestock and lab animals:

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v31je07.htm

I used to use it all the time as a topical wound treatment for my horses, but I've since switched to other products such as Corona Ointment, Bag Balm, Fura-Free, etc.

It works for it's intended use quite well (except on the lower legs of horses where it has been proven to promote proud flesh) and if you want to continue using it--please wear gloves when handling it.

To the OP, sorry to hi-jack... I hope your chickie gets better.
Edit: Carri, you are the OP...DUH! Sorry for the lapse in sanity...

Last edited:
texasreb-
I've never heard that before! Wow... Well I'll start using Bag Balm instead.

Spotted-
She's never had feathers in those areas so I know it's not from having feathers pulled.

Daisy did loose a lot of weight when she had it (obviously... she couldn't see a darned thing) but Giblet is acting fine and dandy. Nobody else has it. I was told by the vet that once the bumps break open, the are no longer contagious but they can get infected. I'll continue with Bag Balm and Corona and keep everyone updated!

Back
Top Bottom