pussy eyes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barnyardmom, Apr 16, 2009.

1. barnyardmom

barnyardmom Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    waynesville, OH
    Belgian D'Anver, quail. Both eyes are pussy, crusting over. I used a sensitive eye wash. Then a pink eye type ointment that was prescribed for a cat. can chickens get pink eye? He is not moving around (even before the meds) He usually tries to be barnyard boss. Any advice?
    donna

2. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Try a warm rag to wipe away and you can get eye gel at feed store for chickens, very costly from what I remember. Oh, and I think that you meant, PUSSEY!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  3. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    [​IMG] I had to quadruple read that title... Maybe Puss-Filled? [​IMG]

4. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    lol I had to look at the title a few times, and did not quite get it until I read the post lol.

At the vet I work for a fellow worker once wrote that something was "pussy" and I think when the Dr. read it, he had heart failure lol...he quickly came an informed us to use puss filled or a different term. lol haha

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Oh, and I think that you meant, PUSSEY!!

On a grammatical note, "pussy" was actually technically correct for the puss-filled eyes. I couldn't find "pussey" in the dictionary at all.

The alternate definition didn't even occur to me - i hope to comfort the author by saying this. [​IMG]

Very funny confusion to read everyone's posts though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. barnyardmom

barnyardmom Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    waynesville, OH
    OK all you scholars, you've had your fun but, no one really answered the question.....
    Now for a little lesson........
    puss- filled is not proper grammar. it is pun-filled or pun filled, when referring to puss. or pussy lol
    pussey is written pusses or full of pusses.
    pussey is not even a word!
    now help me with the problem
    My chicken has GOOP, CRUD, PUTRID stuff, crusting up his eyes. I have used compresses to clean them and then the ointment (checked with vet, he said it couldnt hurt, he knew nothing about chickens) I guess I need to know what is causing this, in both eyes.
    dk

7. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but when my cat was just 4 weeks old his eyes were so badly crusted up that everytime the vet pried them open to clean them - all you could see was puss flowing from his eyes. I thought he was going to be blind. By the way, we found him that way - sicker than I don't know what.

It took 2 courses of antibiotics and some eye gel to help get rid of the infection but to this day, he gets goopy eye boogers that I gross DH out by picking the mess out of his eyes.

Hopefully this is an extreme example and won't be near as bad for your feathered friend.

Sorry I didn't have any specifics though. [​IMG]

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I knew what you meant. lol. Dirty people. [​IMG]

Get some terrymicin eye ointment and keep her eyes washed with a warm washcloth 3 or 4 times a day. You may even give her terrymicin in her water. This will help. Keep her seperated and warm.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It really could be any number of respiratory things going on or a simple eye infection due to something getting in the eye (dust/bedding, etc). For respiratory, I would consider CRD, IB, MS, Corzya to start. Anyone else in the flock/coop showing symptoms? Until you figure out the problem, you' aren't going to heal the bird. Initial saline rinses should help to keep the eye clean and open.

10. Cassandwitch

Cassandwitch New Egg

Apr 3, 2013
    Pontefract
    Long time listener, first time caller. I found this post helpful as by pekin who is broody is showing the same problems and struggling to breathe, except I don't understand the shorthand. What does the initials mean? Xxx

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by