pustule(?) at base of tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frankenchick, Feb 26, 2008.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    One of my NH hens has a strange bump at the base of her tail. It is shaped like the "fingers" on one of those shower massagers with the long handle. I'd say it's about 1/8" tall. It's all red, except at the very end, where it's yellow like a pimple that's about to pop. Prissy has pulled out quite a few feathers around it. I squeezed it gently and nothing happened (I was going to put antibiotic ointment on it) and Prissy didn't seem to feel any pain. I finally just sprayed it with some Wound-Kote so the others wouldn't bother it. She is eating and behaving very normally.

Any ideas?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may be looking at the oil gland. That's how they preen, the spread oil from that gland through their feathers as "waterproofing".

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  4. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    that's exactly what it looks like; it's also the same location.

Is it okay if it's yellow at the top?

Should I wash off the Wound-Kote from the gland? I have to leave it on the bare spot; the others will peck at it if I don't.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd just leave the oil gland alone. If it is plugged up and swollen, a hot compress should help unclog it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by