Pustules? on my hen's face - help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twoacresofhappy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. twoacresofhappy

twoacresofhappy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    My GL Wyandotte has these pustule-like bumps on her face. Can anyone ID and suggest treatment?[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she may have a bad case of fowl pox, but the swollen bumps could also be infection with pus inside. Pox is a virus transmitted by mosquitoes and can last over a month. I would put some iodine on the pustules to help dry them, keeping it out of the eyes. Make sure that she is eating and drinking well. Here is some reading on pox:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/510
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. twoacresofhappy

twoacresofhappy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Thank you! She still seems to be eating and drinking. I'll put iodine on those pustules and see if it helps. How would I know if there is infection inside the pustules? Would an oral abx help at all?

5. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    There's a company in Louisiana that sells a pill to treat the fowl pox. And they also recommend putting just about any brand antibiotic ointment on the sores daily. Works well.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Antibiotics don't help with pox, but may help if there are secondary infections. I have PM'd Casportpony to look at your picture since she has experienced bad pox before, and also for a second opinion that it is pox. The lumps may have pus, and lancing one and squeezing it may be the only way to tell. But hold off until she gets back to me or here.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Hmm, interesting... The bumps with scabs sure could be pox, but the ones without scabs don't look like any of the pox that I had here last year. If she was mine I'd keep an eye on it.

-Kathy

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is your chicken doing? Are the bumps on the head soft or firm? I suppose there may be some sort of tumor or cyst, but it's hard to know for sure. An antibiotic may be helpful to prevent any secondary infection, but it won't affect the pox. That has to run its course. Does your chicken have any symptoms of a respiratory disease such as watery or foamy eyes, nasal discharge, sneezing, or chest rattles. Sometimes facial swelling can be due to MG or coryza.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by