Put 1 day old chick under broody hen

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
I currently have 5 broody hens in our coop that are each sitting on multiple eggs (long story) . They are in elevated nesting boxes. Today i heard peeping and found a baby chick on the floor beneath the hens. I picked it up and presented it to the mother hen. She pecked at it pretty hard, twice. She looked very stressed (first time broody). I tried to present the chick to the other hens and they all pecked at it, except one. So I placed the chick under her a couple hours ago and so far so good. I'll have to leave them alone tonight but wanted any input on what to do. Thank you.

Did you look under the hens to see if there was an empty shell?
They've all been broody 21 days and all have only the eggs they started with?

This might be a wreck. A staggered hatch will be the main problem. It takes about 20-21 days for chicks to hatch. Once chicks hatch, most broody hens will come off the nest, with the live chicks and begin to care for those chicks. Abandoning the eggs that are several days from hatching. I

If that happens and you have an incubator - you can put those eggs in the incubator and give them more time to get ready to hatch.

I am not clear - did all your hens go broody at the same time? Or do you have some girls that have been setting longer than others. If so, the ones who have sat the longest - should get the first live chicks.

I would be thankful for any live chicks you get, and would expect that several eggs won't make it. Which is normal even on the best of circumstances.

Mrs K

This might be a wreck. A staggered hatch will be the main problem. It takes about 20-21 days for chicks to hatch. Once chicks hatch, most broody hens will come off the nest, with the live chicks and begin to care for those chicks. Abandoning the eggs that are several days from hatching. I

If that happens and you have an incubator - you can put those eggs in the incubator and give them more time to get ready to hatch.

I am not clear - did all your hens go broody at the same time? Or do you have some girls that have been setting longer than others. If so, the ones who have sat the longest - should get the first live chicks.

I would be thankful for any live chicks you get, and would expect that several eggs won't make it. Which is normal even on the best of circumstances.

Mrs K
Yes, not very organized or well done on my part! So far the hen that i placed her under has accepted her, but is still sitting on other eggs. I am thinking she will probably abandon the eggs soon to take care of the chick, but of course not sure. No incubator. I offered them both food and water and they drank and ate. The original hen it came from had another chick hatch the next night, and has accepted the new chick. Several hens went broody within a few days of each other. The main complication (that i can think of) is that the nonbroody hens have been coming in and laying eggs. Apparently the broody hens would get up and let them lay eggs, then get back on the eggs. We had a family emergency, and so I have been feeding the flock, fresh water, and cleaning the coop, but not proactive with this situation. Also should add this is my first year with chickens, and I'm probably making all kinds of mistakes.😕

So that tells you under which hen the chick hatched...same hen you gave the chick to?

That's not good.
Yes the original broody hen rejected the chick, but the one I put her under seems to have accepted her. The original broody hen had another chick hatch, and has accepted her. They both are still trying to hatch eggs though. And they are in the coop with the flock. I have a small coop i could put them in, but hesitate to lock them together.

Back
Top Bottom