Put 10 Blue Andalusians into lockdown last night

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sian, Dec 6, 2009.

1. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    Please keep fingers crossed for them- my first hatch was not so successful and now I have a Lakenvelder that thinks I am its mother.....(which I actually secretly love!)

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Love the Lakenvelder! Did you hatch silver(white) or golden? I have 2 silver roos & 1 golden roo with 4 golden hens. Just love 'em![​IMG]

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    When are they going to hatch? Please keep us Updated.

4. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    Hi Birdaholic - the baby is a Golden Lakenvelder (which I gather isn't the rec breed in the US, but I love it anyway! ) Not sure if it is a boy or a girl, but its living in my family room and we called it Winston cuz it looks like Winston Churchill! I have a Silver Lakenvelder living in my horse barn. She is adorable! Her name is Latesa and she lays wonderful eggs!

Hi Bantimna - They were supposed to hatch today but we've been having temp issues with the incubator. I have a still air now but hubby bought me a fan for Christmas. I hope these will hatch, but no signs yet :-( PLS keep fingers and toes crossed - thank you!

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Sending good hatch vibes your way. I would love to see pics hen they hatch!

6. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    Nothing happening. We are antsy about how much longer to leave them. I know the eggs were good. My son thinks the incubator got too hot one day when I was away. He turned it down but I think they cooked :-( Sad sigh.

I'm leaving it until Sunday because the thermometer on the eggs did move once after the incubator got too hot. Which I think may mean there might be someone in there. On Sunday I'm going to start picking at the eggs, unless anyone can give me advice on what to do in the meantime?

Soooo....I have a 3-ish week old Lakenvelder called Winston living in my family room and was hoping to be able to put him/her out with the new chicks in a few months. Otherwise Winston will be the only newbie with Mediterraneans and one Lakenvelder in my free range horse barn. Or I could put Winston out with the Silkies in the shed (soon to be chicken palace) but they "roost" in a pile on the floor.....

Anyone have a 3 week old chick or two in the VA area that would like to live in my family room for a while with Winston? And then my basement, and then my chicken house?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd start picking on the eggs, NOW.

Start at the air cell look for movement.

8. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    What do yo mean by that - picking at the shells? I will do that if you think it works -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by