1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Put A Top On It?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HalpMeh, Mar 25, 2017.

1. HalpMeh

HalpMeh Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Somewhere Southern
    I am in the process of getting chickens, and I have a quick question. I have an old dog pen that already has strong fencing around it, but I am going to reinforce it so it would be tougher for snakes and other animals to get it. The pen stands to be 7-8ishFT high and it is under a tree. (The tree is in the middle of pen and sticks out.) I know this offers shade.

My question- Should I still worry about hawks, and should I put a top to the pen?
    (There will still be a coop.)

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes put a top on it! I just read a bunch of hawk attack stories this morning. What I have on mine is an inexpensive mesh fabric deer netting. It's very simple to stretch over and fasten and has 1" squares. There is something similar with smaller mesh called bird netting. Of course you could use more secure fencing as well. Good luck!

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I would put a lid on it for sure. In the middle of a suburb hawks visit my yard often. It freaks the hens out but with a lid they are not dinner.

4. HalpMeh

HalpMeh Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Somewhere Southern
    Thank You so much for the info!

5. HalpMeh

HalpMeh Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Somewhere Southern
    Okay thank you for the info!! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by