Put A Top On It?

HalpMeh

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Somewhere Southern
I am in the process of getting chickens, and I have a quick question. I have an old dog pen that already has strong fencing around it, but I am going to reinforce it so it would be tougher for snakes and other animals to get it. The pen stands to be 7-8ishFT high and it is under a tree. (The tree is in the middle of pen and sticks out.) I know this offers shade.

My question- Should I still worry about hawks, and should I put a top to the pen?
(There will still be a coop.)

Yes put a top on it! I just read a bunch of hawk attack stories this morning. What I have on mine is an inexpensive mesh fabric deer netting. It's very simple to stretch over and fasten and has 1" squares. There is something similar with smaller mesh called bird netting. Of course you could use more secure fencing as well. Good luck!

Yes put a top on it! I just read a bunch of hawk attack stories this morning. What I have on mine is an inexpensive mesh fabric deer netting. It's very simple to stretch over and fasten and has 1" squares. There is something similar with smaller mesh called bird netting. Of course you could use more secure fencing as well. Good luck!
Okay thank you for the info!! :D

Back
Top Bottom