Put an Egg in My Pocket Yesterday. Guess What Happened!

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Okay, so Yesterday I collected eggs and only got one. I had other things to do outside, so I just put it in my pocket and kept on it.

When I went inside I remembered the egg and walked over to the fridge. Yuck!! I reached into my pocket to pull out the egg and it was broken and my pocket was full of goo. I pulled out the shell and threw it out the window to the chickens. When I pulled the yolk out it was still whole!! Go figure.

Anyway, I feel kinda stupid and have no idea what pocessed me to do that. It's not the first time I've done it either.

I put an egg in my pocket and when I went to bend over to empty their water, it fell on the ground and my Buffy immediately pecked it. I grabbed it up right away and went and dealt with it immediately. But I was *FREAKED* that it was going to turn her into an egg-eater. Luckily, it didn't.

Maybe if you have a little basket outside the coop/run where you can put the egg(s) while you attend to them and you'll be less tempted to put it in your pocket?

I do that on occasion, too! You're right...YUCK!

Be careful giving shells to your chookies unless they are really broken up...if they recognize it as an egg, it can make them consider becoming an egg-eater in the future, and you sure don't want that!
big_smile.png

Accidentally smashed eggs - okay, here's one for you!

I have a Great Dane that has an annoying habit of pushing his head against you when he wants to be pet. Well...you can imagine how big a Great Dane's head is, and you can imagine at about what level it would be on the human body when the Dane is beside you...yup...just about egg-in-the-pocket level!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!!

I normally use a bucket with hay in the bottom, but with only one egg I decided to leave the bucket and just grab it. Big Mistake!!

I did crush the shell up before I fed it to the chickens, though. I used to feed eggs to my chickens all the time. I would just drop the eggs on the ground and crush them a bit for my hens. I never had a problem with an egg eater. They were just too stupid to figure out to brake them open!!!
lol.png

I gotta thenk you for posting this yesterday! I went out this afternoon to give the chickies their free time and treats, and I checked the nest boxes since I'd seen on the coop camera that 2 of the Dominiques were in and out of the boxes all afternoon. Sure enough, 2 little eggs. I'd already collected eggs this morning and didn't bring the basket with me. I almost put them in my pocket, then I remembered your post and thought better of it. I took them right inside and set them on the counter. So, thanks! You probably saved me from having a very messy pocket!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom