put autumn leaves in the run - was that OK?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by technodoll, Oct 17, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I think I read somewhere that it was OK to put a thick layer of raked leaves in your run if it's bare earth (which mine is), it would keep the flock's feet warmer and they could nest it in, dig, play, mulch the leaves, etc...

So far they've had a blast with the "new flooring", like kids in piles of leaves!

I hope I did OK?

Snow is coming soon...

2. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    I'm looking forward to our leaves falling so I can do the same. The leaves break down nicely over the year and as long as they are fluffed up every now and again so that mold doesn't form, they will be fine.

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i do it every year, they mulch it right up, they enjoy it as well, and gives them somethng to scratch around in.

4. lisaschon

lisaschon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    Good idea - I'll be doing this tomorrow. They will love it.

5. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    My chickens LOVE leaves! I am so glad for the fall cause I keep piling them up. My husband thinks that I'm crazy cause I pile them up like 2 feet tall in the run and the chickens think it's christmas! For kicks I throw scratch grains in it and they dig tunnels and throw the leaves around, my kids love watching them do this (so do I, btw) and in a day or two they have it mashed down and shredded up to about 4 inches deep. It's great, especially with a covered run so the leaves stay dry and crunchy.

6. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Thanks for the idea! I live under full tree cover and the leaves are coming soon.

7. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    [​IMG] most wonderful! [​IMG]

the flock went crazy in the leaves, it was SUCH a delight to see!

thanks everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by