Put babies in with my big ladies! Advice please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mandielynn, Nov 13, 2019.

1. mandielynn

mandielynn In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2019
    I put my 15 week old babies in with my big girls....how long do they pick on each other. Its very cold here. The babies keep getting pushed into the nesting boxes because they are scared of the big girls, then when the big girls need to lay they are mad that the babies are in the boxes! They get turned on and pecked at often will it get better? Should I separate them again? The babies have been in a separate coop with a run since 3 weeks old the big girls free range so they have seen each other through the fence since 3 weeks. Im new to adding chickens to the flock

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Grandkids and chickens, what more could you want

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    The picking will stop in time. Make sure the younger ones have lots of places to hide and escape from the bigger girls. Also extra feed and water stations help. How many chickens do you have?
    How big is their coop and run? Pictures of your setup are always welcome :)

FortCluck likes this.
  3. mandielynn

Apr 23, 2019
    Its a decent size. I have 8 barred rocks (they are the bullies lol) and 4 polish & 2 olive egger babies! I will post coop pictures! I have 2 feeders that are good length and i leave water outside the coop since its winter. I check on them ALOT im literally obsessed with these chickens!!! The coop is about due for a change adding six more chickens has really made a difference on the messy factor in there lol so dont mind that! If they are all up on the roosting bars there is honestly room for almost 10 more

Attached Files:

4. mandielynn

Apr 23, 2019

Attached Files:

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Are they all staying inside all day? That would add a lot of stress even without integration as there's not enough space for them to be inside the whole day.

I assume the outside area is free for them to use? I don't see any real hiding spaces for the younger birds. Cluttering up the area would help provide such spaces: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

SurferchickinSB and aart like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees, space is kinda small for even 8 birds, let alone integrating 6 more....
    ...even if you think there's enough roost space for 10 more.
    I can't see the roosts in your pics.
    How big is coop...about 4' x 8'?

Integration Basics:
    It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
    Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
    Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
    Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  7. mandielynn

Apr 23, 2019
    They free range they have a huge area to free range, we live in the country. And they often go under the deck, a small size trampoline and sometimes over into the wooded area and my grassy plants!

8. mandielynn

Apr 23, 2019
    Here is a pictureof the inside (plan view). They all free range i have a automatic door so it opens as soon as it can. The second day they kept there distance from each other then we got our first snow and everyone was scared of it and stayed inside more until I shoveled a section for them. Thanks for all and any input!

Attached Files:

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Isometric view(sorry, old drafter here).
    What is the width and length?
    32 sqft is not big enough for 12 birds let alone your 14, or the 10 more you suggested.
    That coop is attractive, but others have found crowding issues too.
    One I remember is @jthornton .

Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-11-14_12-3-8.png

rosemarythyme likes this.
  10. mandielynn

Apr 23, 2019
    Northern Indiana. I don't know the exact measurement i believe about the 4x8. I am not necessarily looking to be preached at about irrelevant things. I was just trying to get some opinion on if i should jeep them there or there was something else i could do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: