Put down a mouse :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sword, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    So a few minuets ago I was checking the mouse traps in the pantry (because my dog was oddly interested in them) and found one that had just gotten a mouse but not killed it yet. The trap had broken it's back and some of it's organs were sticking out. I put it outside near the door so I could find and dispose of the body in the morning. I was just going to leave it to expire on it's own, but it was doing these wheezing gasps and shuddering and I felt sorry for the little thing, so I put him out of his misery. 30 seconds in a cup of water vs. lingering with a broken back and crushed organs for a few hours. Dunno why I'm posting this, I guess I just want to be told to stop being an overly sentimental whiner.
    [​IMG]

2. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    stop being an overly sentimental whiner

there [​IMG] (just doing as you asked)

J/K [​IMG] i flush them all down the toilet. my cat likes to play with them, and usually they get away, so I have to intervene and catch them myself (usually grab them by the tail)

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I catch what gets in the house in traps. If one survives a trap I just thump in in the head with a broom handle or something of that sort and take trap and all outside and call the cat. She pulls it out of the trap and she eats it before I have time to turn around and walk back inside.

No more mouse.

Although I could care a rats patootie for mice I don't like to see anything suffer. Or know it's suffering so I just give them a whack in the head. Don't take much. They aren't that tough.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    If I catch a mouse in a trap I feed it to my chickens (live only or freshly killed). They love mice and at least someone gets some protein out of it. You know some breeds of chickens are actually known for their mousing ability? [​IMG] If they can catch gophers too I'm gonna get me one!!!

5. Sword

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Quote:Thank you! Just what I needed to hear! [​IMG]

6. Sword

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Quote:I hadn't thought of that! Neat idea! Are there any diseases that can carry over to chickens from mice?

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I hadn't thought of that! Neat idea! Are there any diseases that can carry over to chickens from mice?

I haven't heard of any.

8. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    When my mouse traps (cats) catch a mouse, they typically do not kill them so I call the dog to quickly dispatch the tiny critters so they don't suffer. Hadn't thought about feeding them to the chickens - even better than the dog who kills and then plays with but won't eat the mice.

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    You know, the chickens really make quick work of a mouse. It may take awhile to consume it but they pretty much knock the mouse out right away. My chickens go for lizards too. One breed known for mousing (and eating snakes) is the Buckeye. There is an enourmous thread here on them in the chicken breeds section. One or two people said, their Buckeyes have about put the barn cats out of business. [​IMG]

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i can see them taking care of mice. they eat a chick that flounders in no time flat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by