1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Put eggs under broody, can I add more tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sumi, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I put some eggs under my broody this afternoon, around 15:00. Can I add more eggs tomorrow morning when the other hens start laying? Shouldn't be later than 09:00. Is that too late?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

you can add more.. but don't go for more than a few days.. some broodies will give up the nest as soon as the first chicks are out.. but I have had broodies continue to set for three days after the first chicks (while taking breaks to tend to her new babies food and water).. so it really depends on how dedicated she is.. but less than one day shouldnt matter to her

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thanks! I just want to add some more eggs tomorrow morning, upping the odds a bit. Their hatch rate so far was disappointing. This hen sat on about 8 eggs last time and only hatched 3 chicks. Don't think my roo's getting around to everyone. So many hens, so little time...

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    My broody sat on two eggs that never hatched for 2 days after all the others hatched. I think you'll be fine. Worst case, if you have an incubator and she abandons the unhatched eggs, you can hatch them in there and then sneak the chicks back under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by