Put Food & Water in Coop?

lelisabeth

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Elverson, Pennsylvania
I just got my chickens today and yesterday we built an integrated coop and run. The coop is up off the ground over a bit of run, with a larger area next to the coop. Its like the playhouse coop, if you're familiar with that. Total about 4'x9'. I plan to let the chickens out in the morning when I leave for work (7am) and leave them out all day until it is dark (right now about 8pm). I have the food and water hanging below the coop right now. Do I need to provide them with additional food and water in their coop for nighttime?

Here's a picture:
3476614563_4a7a6e1186.jpg

Great Looking coop. You won't need to put any food or water inside the coop for them to have at night. They have horrible night vision so they won't be eating or drinking at night. Have fun with your chickens
smile.png

Okay, great, thanks! I'll put the food and water in there in winter so they don't have to freeze their tushes to get food an water, but it's easier to let it out in the summer.

Quote:

Food and water is not required at night. I'd consider water in the coop for the mornings you don't let them out for a period of time after daylight. They should have water available pretty quickly after they wake up. Or let them out earlier when daylight is early.

food and water left out overnite is ideal for rats and mice to eat the goodies out
what is with not putting it up

my what a chicken house
how do they get out side?
what is that egg nests on the front?

So, I shouldn't put the food in the coop at night, that makes sense. Should I bring it in the house or can I leave it in the run? I guess it attracts critters in the run...

They walk up the ramp into the coop. The interior door is on the other side. Yes, those are the egg boxes with exterior access. There are probably way too many, 3 for 3 chickens, a little silly!~

great coop. i did a playhouse style coop too. i just love it. my chicks are still in the brooder as they are a week old today.

i am planning on leaving water/food in the run to give the birds more room; but i am planning on moving it inside once hard winter hits (same in IN as MA roughly). i am going to supply a bit of water inside for those mornings i get to sleep in and/or depending on how things go..i might leave the door to the run open at all times once my pullets get a big bigger.

Back
Top Bottom