Put her down or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meowlacy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. meowlacy

meowlacy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    This is my first hatch. All my eggs hatched. I have one little chick with dislocated hock/tendon that I am unable to fix. Is this something I should put her down for? Can chickens grow and thrive with a deformed handicap? I'm at a loss as what to do, I am a newbie so I would appreciate if someone could give me some advice. She eats and drinks. Would she do that if she was suffering? I'm so confused and torn. Please help

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Is it just that she walks funny? Is she able to do everything to survive? I'm not familiar with this, but if it only affects her walk, then I say let her walk funny. If it hurts her, then I don't think it's fair to let her be in pain...unless it can heal.

I found this thread, maybe it can help.https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    scroll
    down to especially slipped achilles tendon

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
  4. etammy

etammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Just a guess but I have heard that if chicks are vitamin deficient they can have leg problems. May be worth a try to give them Nutir drench or electrolyte solution in the water for added nutrition

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by