put medicated water in metal waterer....what now

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by veronica2368, Sep 26, 2007.

1. veronica2368

veronica2368 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    newville pa
    hi all..when i was at work today my folks mixed up some water with sulfa-nox and put it in a galvanized waterer. i didnt realie that until i just got home. is that going to make the hens sick? they did it this afternoon....so i'm sure some of them probably had some water from it.

what should i do?
    veronica

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, I dont think they'll be hurt by it, but if you have some plastic waterers, maybe you could pour it in one of them. Not sure about the metal being a problem with that medication.

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My aluminum font has been seriously stained from vitamin water and sul met solutions. I put all medicines and vitamin/electrolytes in my 1 gallon plastic font. I remove all water the night before then put in the plastic font with medication/electrolytes/vitamins in until it is completely empty (usually takes 1 day or so). Then back goes in the aluminum font.
    The white scale/yellow scale has somewhat lessoned with weekly scrubbings though...so I've hope for the future of my vacuum aluminum water font! [​IMG]

4. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    The galvinized waterer simply makes the medication non effective after just a few hours. It won't hurt and either type of waterer when adding meds in should still be changed twice daily for maximum efficiency. We all know its true. chickens like anything NEW! So if you are medicating and can't use a plastic waterer just change it in the am and again in the early evening. Too late at night and it'll be for not as chickens don't eat or drink in the dark of night.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Only thing I can add to Napa's insight is that some meds will leach the heavy metals out of galvanized containers much like ACV will over time. Not a short term health issue but it can be cumulative in the long run.

6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Is Panacure O.K. in a metal fount?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by