Put my broody on SOD?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensducks&agoose, Aug 25, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a horrible hatch, 2 out of 24 eggs made it.. when I mentioned it to the breeder (not at all implying his fault, i blamed my silly hens), he was horrified to learn that I hadn't put a moist square of sod under the broody nest.. he said that my humidity was way off if I didn't do that, and that's what killed all my eggs... y'all ever heard of that?

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    whats sod?....sorry you had a low hatch, and in the wild the would not have sod under them

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

he recommended that I cut a big square of sod (dirt with grass on top), flip it over, so the dirt is on top, then situate the nest on top of that. so they WOULD have that under them in the wild... anyone?

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I've never used sod with any of our broodies, but then I live in the Pacific Northwest where it's plenty moist. One of my Rhodies has yanked out almost all of lower torso feathers and her skin seems to hold enough humidity for the chicks.

5. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Interesting. Never heard of that. Ive had awesome hatches when my broodies sat in nest boxes with cedar or pine shavings. I do currently have one setting in a huge weed patch on the ground. We'll see how many hatch in about a week. I think mother nature does its thing no matter what they're sitting on...

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    oh well yes they would then, unless they nested awy from grass

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I've never heard of that practice. We don't even have grass here, so broodies sit wherever they feel like it...in a nest box with hay, in a cactus, in the sand...

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Although I can see where he is coming from, the provision of a lump of grassy earth should not be necessary (the hen's breast is humid enough!). My last 4 broods have been..1) Outside on grassy earth 2) Inside old guinea pig pen....in the barn 3) In a proper pen(!) and 4) Work in progress....current hen brooding on the dog's bed. I do nor know how well this current hatch will do (dog's bed), but the other 3 all did equally well

Sandie

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Um... IN A CACTUS !?!?! [​IMG]

10. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:Um... IN A CACTUS !?!?! [​IMG]

Ha ha ha [​IMG]