Put my dog down?????????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ckseals, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ckseals

ckseals Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Not sure what to do.

Our dog has been in baaaaaad shape for over a week. We had to cancel our Christmas plans to take care of him. He's been throwing up and will not eat. He does nothing but lay around. He doesn't even like to get up. We found out that he has mast cell disease (a cancer that is common to dogs) and that it is already throughout his whole body, causing his liver and spleen to be enlarged, causing him to be sick like this. Now, we found out there are new treatments specialized for mast cell disease...but it is going to cost us and it's not guaranteed it will work. In the last week, we have already spent $2000 on meds and vet visits for this dog. On average, we spend about $8,000/year on him because he has so many health issues (ear infections, etc.). Right now, he is looking really bad and his life consists of being confined to a small area so he doesn't move around, throwing up, and sleeping. This new treatment COULD prolong his life and improve its quality, but it could also not do anything. But one thing for sure is that it is going to cost us big bucks.

Any ideas? What should we do? I hate seeing him like this, and I want to think that this treatment will change his life, but I also know that it is possible that it won't, and taking care of him thus far is like taking care of a quickly deteriorating senior citizen. Pills and pills and pills, helping him go to the bathroom, watching him suffer, etc.

Do we take a risk with his life and our money? Or do we call it quits?

Anyone with experience?

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I'm sorry you have to go through this.

How old is he? If he is an older dog it might just be best to let him go instead of putting him through all the treatments and stress. I had to make that decision about my 17 year old lab that had cancer and was quickly deteriorating to the point that he could not have a happy life anymore. For me, I knew he had a good life and I did not want to keep him on this earth just because I wanted it. You have to think what is going to be best for your dog, and not yourself.

In the end, it is your decision, and you will do what you think is best.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Sometimes it is best to end a life rather than prolong a suffering. I would let him go. Sounds like he has been through the gambit already with all his diseases.

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Awww ! I am sorry how hard that must be for you ! I once went through it similar to yours. We had to put him down, because it was not fair for him to suffer. How long has yours been this way ? ITS very hard thing to do ! and yes its very expensive !!!! Have you seek second opinion?

5. ckseals

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Gosh, 17 years! Ours is only like 5...we got him from a pound, so that was their estimate. He's a bloodhound, so I know he is not expected to live long anyway. I think I'm not thinking of keeping him alive for us...it is more like I'm not sure if I should give his life a chance or not with this treatment...and if I don't give it a chance, will I regret it and feel bad after putting him down.......

6. ckseals

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Quote:We have not sought a second opinion because we have been with this doctor for a long time and he knows our dog really really well. He has worked with us through his bad ear infections and all of his other stuff. To take him somewhere else would be difficult to have to go through all the history. And it's obvious, the cells are in his liver and spleen, as we have done test after test. He had to be in the doggy hospital last week with and IV and everything because he hadn't eaten for days.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sometimes it is best to end a life rather than prolong a suffering. I would let him go. Sounds like he has been through the gambit already with all his diseases.

This. And I'm sorry you are going through this.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    From what you reported, I would humanely euthanize the dog. I've seen folks do the chemotherapy on their dogs and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't do it to my dog. Sorry you have to go through this. You obviously love this dog very much. You've done your best, and can do no more but give him peace. Allow him to slip away with dignity.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If he were mine, I think I would put him down. If he had been in perfect health before, then possibly it be be worth the risk.... But you have put so much into him physically and financly already. I think it is just his time, it would only buy him a little more time..... And that might not be worth it. So sorry....

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    This is so hard, but you have to really put yourself in his little shoes....He's not having a good life right now, just pain and suffering. I just had to put my dog down in October. It was a very painful decision, but he had bad genetics, and there was always something going wrong for poor Cosmo. Three bad knees, a collapsing trachea, and also his spine was affected. He spent so much time laying still in the corner, we realized enough was enough. Now, he would get very excited sometimes, and seem to forget all the pain, but he was also getting very yappy and mean as well......

The knees would cost $1600 each to fix, with no guarantees, the trachea was $2000, and Lord only knows what the spinal surgery would cost....Our budget couldn't handle that, and we made the decision to put him down. He wasn't that old.....It was super hard, and my husband and I cried for a good three weeks off and on if we thought about him or talked about him, but we're OK with it now.......

I think if you look to your heart and your head, you'll find the right answer.....[​IMG]:hugs:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by