Put plastic on a wood floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Annichka, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    The floor of the upper tier of our garage chicken coop is particle board. Should I cover it with plastic or something? Will it be impossible to get really clean if I don't?

2. USMCSGT

USMCSGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    If it is particle board, as soon as it gets wet, it will start swelling up. I would never have that in a coop. I have been taking that stuff out of my house for several years, 1 room at a time. If you can get it out the better off you will be.

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I had the bright idea of painting my street numbers on a board to put outside. Turned out really pretty but i also used particle board and the whole thing crumbled and fell apart before it was a year old.

If you can try to take it back or something. Plywood would be better. If you can't change it, at least put some type of waterproofer on it. Maybe a thick oil stain or varnish?

4. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Some type of sealant (oil based paint?) coupled with sheet vinyl might be a good fix. Rebuilding with painted plywood and sheet vinyl would be a better option, if it's possible for you to do.

Y.

5. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Ugh. Ok. No, I can't really take it out because I built the coop by converting an existing structure - an old workbench. Maybe if I seal it with polyurethane and get some scrap linoleum to lay over it... @#$&.
    Thanks.

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We used rubber floor mats on the bottom of the hen house with wood chips on top.

7. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    You can paint it with semigloss latex paint. I have four dogs and got tired of trying to clean up where they would throw up or have an accident. I recently ripped out the carpeting in my bedroom and living room and painted the particle board sub floor. It's a temporary fix till I can get enough cash to put down laminate.

The bedroom floor is actually pretty. I sanded it till it was smooth and used two coats of semi gloss latex paint. B/C it has to look nice indefinitely, I stenciled a pattern on it.

For the chickens, a couple of coats of latex paint, and you'll be able to clean up the mess they make fairly easily.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i found 12"x12" sticky tiles I put on my floor, it was cheaper than buying a sheet of vinyl and I think easier to fit.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    found 12"x12" sticky tiles I put on my floor, it was cheaper than buying a sheet of vinyl and I think easier to fit.

That's exactly what we did. Find them on clearance or at a Habitat ReStore (or similar). They don't have to be pretty to be pooped on.​

10. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by