1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Put the babies with the big girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aran, Jun 17, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    Well I took the plunge today and let the babies ( 3weekers x 14 of em) out with the 7 weekers ( 10 of em now after we picked up 3 extras from the feed store...white dunno what they are).

We let them get aquainted over the last 2 days by putting the babies in a dog crate inside the big girls run and today i have let them all together. A little pecking on by the rooster and the dominant hen in the older group but all in all no disasters so far. No blood and as it stands right now the babies are asleep on one side of the run and the big guy/gals are asleep at the other end of the run.

So far so good. I will probably still bring the lil guys inside into the brooder overnight tonight...maybe they can share the coop with the big girls/guy in the next few days.

2. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    Hi, I am sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I have 4 - one weekers and 3- older banty's I think 11months. When would it be okay to mix them together? Also, 2 of the older ones are broody? HELP, need info on what to do? I am so new at this and want the best for them.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    aran, it sounds as though you have your situation well under control. Congratulations, mixing a flock is no simple matter.

Motherhen, your birds are way far apart in age. The babies should stay in the brooder for at least the first month. Then I would put them in a large cage within the main coop or else divide off a part of the coop and run just for them. This way they will socialize with the older birds without actually being in contact with them. I'd leave them there until they are at least 2 months old then just open a door between them and let them mingle. There will be pecking order issues for a while but all should work out well. It would also help to keep the babies separate until the broody's babies are 6 weeks old or so. When she starts running off her own babies, she will not be as protective of them when you let the separated babies in with them. hth.

4. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    there's another post about this within the last two weeks, I think in this same raising baby chicks section. Anyway, the idea there seemed to be that you can put the babies in with the bigger girls (and that now is the time to do it before the older chicks get any bigger/capable of more damage) by offering them a safe haven that only they can get into. If they have a safe place to run to if they bigger chicks are harassing them, the transition will be safer.

I did my 7 weekers with my 2 and 3 week old chicks this past week and while the babies still squeak every so often, the amount of pecking has gone down since the first few days, and they all snuggle together at night.

Hope that helps,
    Sioux

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i have been bringing the lil ones in at night and letting them out for a few hours during the day. I found an old mesh gate which I put diagonally across the run so that the babies can get behind there but the big girls cant ( theoretically although 1 or 2 have still managed to do it!)
    The babies though just stay in the safe area and dont come out.
    Today I tried to see what would happen to leave them all together with the safe area available if the babies wanted it but they just sat in the corner getting pecked (to the point of bleeding on the foot of a baby at which point i stepped in and separated them) without thinking to run for cover. This is a lot harder than i thought.

any further ideas?

6. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Aran, Wait until you are ready to leave the peeps out at night. You will want to put them in their safe place for a few days, but do not take them away. All that does is cause them to have to re-pecking order. If that makes sense. When they have been introduced through the fence together open the safe area up in the evening. Be there in the am to open the door. You can always distract them with a few extra treats spread about. Also make sure the flock does not run out of food as the babies will have to eat when the big kids are out and about. It usually takes a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by