Put the fear in them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LVVCHAP, Nov 23, 2008.

1. LVVCHAP

LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    My wife and I have been waiting patiently (almost) for our first egg. Yesterday I decided to butcher a few of the roosters and after I was finished I went to the coop and what did I find? Our first egg. Sure made a good laugh for the day. We enjoyed fresh chicken breast for supper and shared one egg. [​IMG]

2. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Guess at least one hen got the message....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cheri

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL..cute thread..[​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]

5. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Congrats on your first egg. [​IMG]

6. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congrats on your first egg!! We processed 6 roos recently and since we've done that our egg production has increased!! We went from 1 egg a day to 3, and from 2 hens laying to 5. A little friendly persuasion never hurts. [​IMG]
    Sonja

7. Ottoman

Ottoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Florida
    Quote:It is funny that you posted this. I remember when I was a kid, my dad doing this when the chickens would slack off in there egg laying. egg laying would always pick up right after. I have 9 hens that are 4 and half months old and have not given one egg yet. I also have 8 rosters that I am going to butcher on thanksgiving. I have told my grandson [who ask every day “have the chickens layed yet Pa pa.”] that when the hens see us butcher the rosters they will start laying. He don’t believe me. [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:It is funny that you posted this. I remember when I was a kid, my dad doing this when the chickens would slack off in there egg laying. egg laying would always pick up right after. I have 9 hens that are 4 and half months old and have not given one egg yet. I also have 8 rosters that I am going to butcher on thanksgiving. I have told my grandson [who ask every day “have the chickens layed yet Pa pa.”] that when the hens see us butcher the rosters they will start laying. He don’t believe me. [​IMG]

I've had egg production pick up after getting rid of extra roos, but it works whether you butcher them or just give them away.

I have a simple explanation. When you have too many roos, they harass the hens and chase them so much, they tend to avoid the nest boxes because the roos hang around waiting to jump them. And, eggs get broken in the chase and roo fights in the coop, and once broken, they're quickly eaten.

8 roos and 9 hens? Poor hens! But, 4 1/2 months, at this time of year, it might take a little longer to get some eggs. They may or may not be ready to lay yet.

Either way, extra roos are tasty in the crock pot!

9. LVVCHAP

LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    My wife found the second egg today. I hope this the beginning of a good thing. They were 20 weeks last Wednesday. Maybe I will have to butcher two more roosters for Thanksgiving. Currently we have 14 hens and 5 roosters. [​IMG]

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by