Put the Rooster in a Dress?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SproutGirl, Apr 23, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    I have a very dumb question about roosters: Is there a way to "neuter" one or to train it not to crow? I live in a town in which it is not legal to own a rooster, and I am pretty sure that my neighbors would not enjoy the sound of a rooster crowing as much as I would. The trouble is, of the 6 birds that I raised, I have a strong hunch that at least 2 of them are cockerels, and I have grown quite attached to one of them (Amy is his name! Sheesh!) who is very sociable and curious about everything. He is a beautiful, yellow Araucana, and I couldn't bear to eat him, and would be sad to say goodbye. I have been discussing this with friends who suggest dressing him in a little skirt, and instructing him not to crow, maybe offering him some treats if he clucks. The conversations only get more ridiculous after this, but I need some real advice. I have a feeling I am out of luck. Mother Nature has a plan for roos, and this city has another. Oh, golly. [​IMG]

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    i don't know of any. cute though, a roo in a dress. sorry about the city restrictions, that is why I live a half hour from the nearest city.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Uh what a problem. [​IMG] I hate having to give up the boys, they're so cute!

Yes, there is a way to neuter cockerels. It's called caponizing. It's done without anesthetic and at a young age, before they are sexually mature. I wouldn't suggest it especially with a pet though. Here is some info on it:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Caponizing.html

It's been banned in the U.K. because of cruelty concerns.

You could try contacting a vet to see if you can find one sympathetic to chickens and willing to try doing it WITH anesthesia and painkillers.

The dress method is worth a try, but I recomend taking pictures and posting them here. For instructional purposes of course!

Or make the boys house chickens. Diapers can be found here:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Diapers-Chicken_Diapers-P352.aspx

Here:
    http://www.avianfashions.com/

And here:
    http://www.chickendiapers.com/Catalog.html

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

However if you do make a capion of your roo... he'll act and look more hen like depending on when you do it. And... it may not stop crowing.

5. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Thanks for the advice. It seems kind of a bit over-board to go through all of that torture for the poor birdy. After all, he should get to be his masculine rooster self and crow with pride. I will just miss Mr. Amy. Hopefully I can find him a home where he can sire many children instead of instantly going to broil! That is, if he is the roo that I suspect he is, and I am totally unsure about that.

6. Shindlerschicks

Shindlerschicks New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    So of what benefit is caponizing other than keeping him from jumping on the ladies all the time? I have a very small flock and only 1 accidental roo. I live in the city limit and he has just began to crow. I am preparing to try a few things such as the dark box at night then letting him out at a reasonable hour of the morning, greasing my neighbors with eggs in hopes that they don't complain too much about his crowing, and feeding him his favorite treats in the early am so he wants to eat more than crow---but if caponizing would reduce his desire to crow I would do it. He is just 3 months old and very plucky but sweet. I appreciate any advise as this is my first and only roo so I am very much a novice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by