Put them out when raining??

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
My chicks (6 of SS) are 8weeks in a few days and now they are permanently living outside for little over a week now.
Their coop is about 6'x8' and outside run is 10'x10'.
The coop has overhang and covering about 1/3 of their run.

So far, we have beautiful sunny days but by the next week, we start having rainy days.

Do you put them out when it's raining out???
I would do if little bit sprinkle but not sure about heavy rain or thundering....
What would you do???

Last edited:
I have 35 of them out wandering the pouring rain right now. The ones that have been bathing in charcoal dust (they found the spot where I dump the grill pan behind the propane tank) for the last week look a little dumber than the ones that are just dripping wet but whatever makes their little chicken hearts happy!

So they are fine with rain???
When it's raining out, I will let them decide.... We'll see if they love it or not...

Quote:
PortageGirl has it right! I let my birds decide. Rain, snow , sunshine, I open the coop doors and the birds decide.

Mine have been just fine.

It's been raining here for hours and my 8 week olds are out in it and not choosing to shelter. They seem pretty fine.

The adult chickens usually shelter, but they don't bother too much when the rain is not cold.

I agree with what others have said, open the coop and let them come out (or not) as they choose.

sandie

Quote:
PortageGirl has it right! I let my birds decide. Rain, snow , sunshine, I open the coop doors and the birds decide.

Mine have been just fine.

So far mine have been through a tornado a couple of weeks ago and then tropical storm conditions from hurricane Alex this week and they are only 8 wks old! They are just fine. Poor things probably think this is 'normal'...

I agree, even when we had some heavy snow I let mine out. They had never seen a snow before, and they didnt care for it. They still came out and found bare spots. The rain doesnt bother them either, there is a old dog house they all group in, course it wont hold all of them, one gets popped out as one goes in.

Back
Top Bottom