put thermostat close/on bulb???y?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fantastic4, Apr 19, 2012.

1. fantastic4

fantastic4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    is it not going to gauge the temp of the bulb and heat up more that the bator? Im having temp issuse!

My bator is bigger but similar to this one.
    http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7961608&start=0

Im running 2 bulbs. The smaller compartment is running 102-104 and egg space is about 95. Light is on HWH thermostat and is running constantly. HUMMMM?

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    The metal side of the water heater thermostat needs to be wthin 2 inches from the light bulb. If you go to my page, you will have to navigate to it. It is called the Chick-Factory-Incubator. If you go to my page, and unclick everything except for articles, and you will find my page easily, but you could scroll through a bunch of stuff too. (My incubator page should show you everything you need to know about building the cooler incubator)

I can't give you the link to the video, or even a picture of my incubator at the moment, but later today, I will try and get back on here to help you.

I only give my suggestions to help you to make the best incubator I could help you to make it be. [​IMG]

3. fantastic4

fantastic4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I do have my thermostat placed close. I am getting a great steady temp but my air isn't circulating correctly like above pic. Although I have a steady temp it is uneven.

When I open vent holes on front, my eggs in front get that draft so I have about a 7-9 degree diff. front to back.
    plugged them and the air goes in circles from holes to fan so I will have about a 5 degree diff from front to back of egg compartment.

I am going to ATTEMPT to describe what my redneck self did next.....Mind you I was doing a quick little thing just to see if it worked like I want....
    I then made a solid shelf for turner. shelf is up against the "wall" with light and there is about a 2 inch gap in front. Im attempting to get air to pull from under shelf, warm air to enter through holes above shelf and back down the front. in essence I am attempting to create an air tunnel under the eggs so the air will circulate the ENTIRE bator. Waiting to see the outcome of this. I am first trying it with vent holes open (They do fall below shelf).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by