Put Your Creative Hats On!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ldyjarhead, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    I have an old piano that I've been dismantling and I'd love to figure out a way to use it as a base for a chicken coop. It will need to be large enough to house approx 6 hens, but no matter how I look at this, it seems it would have to be heavily modified and I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort (especially for someone with little knowledge in building anything).

As it stands right now, the internal dimensions would be approx 5'w x 2'd so would need quite a bit of extension.

I'm really leaning towards building a plan 4x8 coop to simplify construction, but if anyone has any ideas on how I might be able to use the piano in a creative way, please pipe up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Well this is a first for me, so I will give you an A for originality. Remember, veneered wood products will separate with exposure to humidity over time. You will have to seriously paint/seal that thing for it to last outside. I was thinking how great it would be for a nest box with storage beneath, as an addition to the inside of a coop. Figure on minimum of 4 sq ft per bird for the coop with lots of good ventilation that can be varied according to seasons. Figure on 10 sq ft per bird for outside, and bigger if you have the space for it.

3. Ldyjarhead

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    Quote:I had planned on painting if I could figure out how to modify it and yes, I've already researched dimensions needed for the hens I'll hopefully be getting soon (I'm a total noob and researching everything).

The coop would have to be huge for this to fit inside, but I don't know if there may be a way to build a 4'x8' and have this attached somehow as a bit of extra room, like you said, for nest boxes.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    After looking this over, the only thing that I can see of doing with this is using the banisters and keyboard slat (above the foot pedals) as your entrance into the nest boxes. It would give a fancier look to the interior, however, I can't think of what to do with it for the outside. I think it may be easier to build your base from something else rather than trying to figure out how to build the rest of the coop around the piano...

Hopefully someone else can "chime" in!! [​IMG] Maybe someone with a "sharp" eye! [​IMG]

5. Ldyjarhead

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    Quote::::: groan ::::

That's what I figured after taking it outside to get a better look at the whole idea earlier today. I just don't see how it would be do-able without some heavy modifications, and I need quick/simple.

6. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    The plate in that piano (the cast iron harp that the strings go over) probably weighs about 300 lbs and would have to be removed and carted away before you do anything else. The strings themselves are under significant tension and can be a missile hazard if cut, and they must be removed before the plate can be detached. As someone else pointed out, almost all of the wood in a piano is a veneer of one type or another and is joined with hide glue which is absolutely NOT waterproof. Even with exterior paint over the case, the wood will ultimately delaminate outdoors. Finally, even if you extensively modify the piano case, there's just not that much room for chickens. I hate to discourage you, but using a piano for the basis of a coop is a bad idea.

7. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I thought of three things

#1 [​IMG] {lol I play a little

2 cover it with plants

3 use it inside as a small pen, like for bantams or something.

just tossing it out there

8. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well...it sure is pretty....

9. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    hey i can see it! [​IMG] The first picture you posted - that is your back wall. Then where the keys are - that is your shelf for your nesting boxes. Underneath is your feed/water station. Add side walls, front wall, and then a roof that extends wayyyy over (so the piano doesnt get rained on toooo much). Great idea! I have an ancient piano too no one ever plays hmmm.... it sure is HEAVY though! but... it has wheels! [​IMG]

10. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    and looking at it again.... btwn the legs on the sides... maybeeeee that is a little door they come in and out of????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by