1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting 4 to 6 week old chickens with 1 week old chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by funonahonda, May 2, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Hello, I have 4- 4 to 6 week old red sexlinks would it be ok to put them with 2- 1 week old new hampshires?? Thanks

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I never have luck mixing chicks with that big an age difference, maybe someone else can chime in ....Mine always want to start the pecking and bullying...

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I agree, the week-olds are just too vulnerable. With older birds they can defend themselves or avoid each other, but the older chicks could well kill your younger ones in such a confined area.

4. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    I tried putting 6 wk old chicks with 8 week old chicks and it didn't work-- had to take them out immediately. So, I kept them seperately cooped and then let them free range together for several weeks. The larger birds would chase the others a little, but they had plenty of room to fly/run away and the bullies would always give up quick. Then, after 2 weeks of that, I sold off all my extra cockerels, which was about half of the bigger chicks, and then I started cooping them together at night. Tkat has worked fine, but the smaller chicks are definately at the BOTTOM of the pecking order. It is amazing that at almost 3 months old there is still such a big size difference between them. Good luck-- I know first hand what a pain it is keeping them seperate!

Last edited: May 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by