putting 4 week old chicks with adult hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fancy, Aug 13, 2010.

1. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    One of my hens died Yesterday of old age. I have only one hen left. Knowing that they don't do well alone I'm wondering if the chicks that are 4 weeks old should be put in with her? Don't know what to feed them if I do. Can someone please help with some advice, These are my first chicks.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If you do put them together, do it at night. You can feed them an All Purpose feed with a cup of Oyster Shell for the hen.

I would say you need to wait until the babies are at least a couple of months old. But, depends on how aggressive your hen is.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

4 week old chicks and an adult hen is a recipe for disaster. Wait untill the chicks are at least 3 months old and understand how to get out of the way or the adult may pick them to death.

4. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    any suggestions on what to do with my hen in the meantime. someone told me she won't live if she's alone for long, and 2 more months for the chicks seems like a long time.

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you put the chicks and hen in pens that are side by side or partitioned off so they can see each other? Then your hen won't feel so lonely. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by