putting 5 week old chicks with a broody??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by storminstaffs, Oct 28, 2010.

1. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Is it possible or will she just attack them, i've had the 2 chocolate ophs and 2 cream legbars in my bedroom since they were a day old and my silkie has been broody for a few days on non fertile eggs, so would she take chicks this old?

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:i think 5 weeks is a little late to try to attach chicks to a broody

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Most hens will eat`em up unless they are 1-3 days old and the move is made at night. I don`t think you have a chance.........Pop

4. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    thanks for letting me know, they'll have to stink my room out for a few more weeks before moving to a coop as the choc ophs are slow feathering

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I pretty much agree with Pop. At 5 weeks of age, most broodies would be thinking it is about time to wean them, not take them on. I think you will be better off getting her some fertile eggs and not trying to get her to accept these.

I can understand the desire to get them out of your house and let a broody take care of the integration issues. If you want to, you can put them in a cage near her and observe. See if she acts like she wants to mother them, kill them, or ignore them. Silkies with their broody instinct can be weird. I still don't think you have much of a chance, but you can try.

6. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Quote:not allowed any more fertile eggs, i've got 3 due to hatch on the 31st in with another broody

will just keep them in my room, i'd rather nothing happened to my choc orphs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by