We have 4 chicks (6 weeks old) out in the coop:
2 Ameracaunas
1 Norwegian Jaerhon
1 RIR
They get along great!

We also have 2 chicks (3 weeks) in the brooder:
1 Silkie
1 Leghorn

I am in a time crunch. We leave for vacation in 2 weeks and need to put all of them in the coop (our neighbors are chicken sitting).
I was going to introduce them with chicken wire between them 1 week before we leave. I was hoping that then they can all live together in peace and harmony the coop....

Good plan or bad?...........

Help!

I kept my younger ones right outside the older ones' coop for several weeks. When I put them all together there was some fighting, so I panicked and took them back out. I finally ran out of room so I had to put them all back in together. Yes, they fought. This was 4 weeks ago, there is still some fighting but you just have to do it.
They basically stay in their individual groups but are now able to share the same space, if you know what I mean.
My rule of thumb is, as long as there is no blood, let them work it out.
Good luck.

I think mine were like 9 weeks and 6 weeks. I sat and watched them for awhile, but they really seem to take care of things themselves.
big_smile.png

In the next few days I'm planning on moving them to the "big"pen and coop and I'm trying to decide if I want to introduce my 9 weekers at that point. I'm hoping because it will be all new territory for everyone it will be ok.

I put our 3 weekers in with my 13 weekers! Talk about a size difference!
hmm.png
But, I had raised the 3 weekers in a pen attached to the coop sharing a chicken wire wall, so they got to see and hear each other that whole time. Then, when they were about 2.5-3 weeks old or so, I cut a small hole in the 'wall' sperating them just big enough to fit the small chicks. They could come into the 'big' coop and nose around and scratch and whatnot and when they got scared or someone was pickin on them, they could run through the hole and be safe in the pen. I did this for a week and then pushed them all into the coop and closed up the hole. Yes, there were some squabbles here and there, but my rule of thumb is "No blood, no foul" meaning IGNORE THE SCREAMING they do unless there is blood being drawn. If no blood, LET IT GO and let them work it out. It only takes them a couple days to get it worked out if you let them do it. I would move the 3 weekers you have in with the 6 weekers and seperate them for a few days or a week with chicken wire. Then cut a little hole in it only big enough for the little ones to run through if they need to get away from the bigger ones. Yours are all pretty young, so you really should be OK. I would start this NOW so you can know that they are alright together BEFORE you leave. You'll have a better time if you can relax knowing everyone is safe and happy and getting along. Trust me on that!
wink.png

4H Mom and Kids, How many 13 weekers did you have compared to your 3 weekers? I have five 8 weekers and seven- 2/3 weekers. I am terrified to let them "deal with things". I do so much better with Human babies!
lau.gif
DId you get any chicks that end up with bleeding issues? Right now they are in the same coop with a screen door seperating the two. THey can see eachother. The weeones tend to stay away from the door. It's day 2 for them in their new space. That dang chicken fever thats going around....
yippiechickie.gif

I had (still have!) 9 pullets and 3 roos that were 13 weeks when the 3 weekers went in with them. There were (are!) roughly 16 of the 'weeones' in comparison. But you will be surprised, they take care of their own pretty well by that age. Plus, if they have a place they can run to when scared, that helps too. And nope, I havent had a single bloody, booboo issue. Worst I've had was a roo trying to "service" a little gal and I was more worried about him crushing her than actually hurting her!
lol.png
They all settled down after about 3-4 days and now they are all great. They free range the yard all day right along with the 'bigguns'.
wink.png

We HAD to. Space was filling up and I either had to get them into the coop with the bigger ones, or give them up to a new home, per my hubby.
roll.png
So, just like with both of my children so many years ago, I had to sit on my hands and just watch. Although I will tell you that doing the divider thing really helped. No one got hurt and they could run away if they had to.

With your older ones being only 6 weeks, this is your ideal time to intro them all. They are bigger, yes, but they wont be into the real serious pecking order stuff for a few weeks yet. If I were you, I would grit my teeth, sit on my hands, and do it while they are all still young enough to mix pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom