1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting 8wk old chicks into the coop?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flygilmore, May 6, 2016.

1. flygilmore

flygilmore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    How long should I leave these birds in the coop before letting them out into the run? I've heard a couple people say that they should stay in the coop for a week or so to get used to it being their "new" home and that this would help with the birds coming back to the coop at night.
    I'm done with my 10'x10' coop but haven't started on the run yet....I figure it will take 2wks working off and on when I can to get it finished. I've got my birds in the basement in a large brooder but I'm so ready to get them out.

Thanks.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

They could probably go out there now and stay until you get the run done. Just keep it clean and make sure they have food and water!

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

If the coop is done and yard is fenced, put them out now and let them free range. At 10 weeks they are plenty big enough to handle the rigors of life outside the brooder.

[​IMG]

My current flock has been outside for almost a week now and it is so nice to have them out of the house, and they are so happy to be out of the brooder.

[​IMG]

They forage all day in a secure yard. Each night I put them into the coop at about sunset....

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can just live in the coop 24/7 until the run is done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by