Putting 9 week old chicks outside

ilovemychickies

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Just north of Dallas Tx.
Hi all! I have 2 9 week old chicks and I was wondering if I could leave them out tonight or if I should bring them inside. The low tonight is suppost to be in the upper 40's low 50's. What do y'all think? They are both fully feathered and they have bunches of hay in with them. Thanks in advance!

Ashleigh

I'm not sure, but would like to know what the experts say. Are they fully feathered now?
idunno.gif

Mine are 8 weeks and can't wait to get them out!!!! Hopefully by tomorrow.....DH is building the coop addition as we speak.....
tongue.png

I'd put mine out as long as it were not to windy and drafty, inside a coop they'd be fine....snuggled together in hay
smile.png

If in doubt you could always throw in a heat lamp.

i just put my 9 weeks out the 1 st time also i'm so nervous i wanted them outside but now i want them back in,i hope i can get some sleep tonight:(
hit.gif

They should be fine. My 5 week olds are outside and they've been fine. They need to stay dry and out of the wind.

I had a year old roo i live in florida where its always warm and i still worry abuot him at night.So i know how worried you must be.
wink.png

As long as they have been acclimated to lower temperatures they should be fine; however they have never been at temperatures that low, be sure to provide a heat lamp/source for them to huddle under should they need. Mine are just shy of 10 weeks and are fine at temps that low, but they have been outside for several weeks now.

Mine are 5 weeks old, have been outside with a heat lamp (250 watt) in the coop for the past week. On nights that will be below 40, I turn on the 100 watt lamp as well. They are fine and dandy and loving all the space. And I am loving having them out of the house!

My six week old babes have been out for weeks(probably 3 or more).....I have the 250 watt bulb on just to be safe. They seem very happy! I also have a bale of straw in there for them to cuddle up with.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom