Putting a fan in my LG, how much of a space?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nyice, May 13, 2010.

1. nyice

nyice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    LI, New York
    I have been lurking for a few hours and found all sorts of useful info on getting better hatches from my LG (I did really well with 90% on my first try, but lost 7 out of 10 of the silkies and learned alot of lessons the hard way), but have not seen how much of a gap to put between the lid and the fan. I bought a fan from "the shack" (it has a blue LED and I could not resist, plus it might make it easier to see at 3AM when I am unable to sleep!)
    I recycled a power source, gathered screws and nuts to mount/suspend it, just am not sure how much room is optimal (1/2"....1" ?).

And, it is going in the normal stock mounting spot (under the vent hole in front) but I am unsure if I plug this hole while incubating or let it vent out the hole a little, or do i fab say a fender washer to slide over the hole as needed. I went through many sleepless nights when I did this as a still air, I want to be as prepared as possible for this one.

Thank you to all the people who have helped me so far who don't even know it, I tried to get as many answers as I could on my own, but really need to get this project finished.

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I can't help you on this but I hope you get some good answers. I have a LG and would like to do that also.

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
  4. nyice

nyice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    LI, New York
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for (and I thought I searched every combination of "LG" "incubator" and "fan" I could think of)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by