putting a gate in wire mesh steel pole pen

chuzz

Hatching
Jan 22, 2016
Hi all - I'm planning to secure an existing garden area with open access , as a runner duck pen ... how to put in a door/gate with limited funds and carpentry skills ?? thanks.

Wire fencing that hooks onto screws or nails. I use that method to keep my chickens out of the garage.
wink.png

hi - thanks - I figured I could rig some bendable overlap & containment . any secure ways to gate a wired , no wood post , pen ? I see them as I drive around .. fenced in rectangles or squares .. I dont see the gates ??? How do you do it ?

welcome-byc.gif

Can you post a pic of what you're working with? We have folks with a lot of experience who can probably guide you, but pics would help.

I've used T-posts and a piece of hog or cattle panel. Secured to the anchor post with baling twine (yep, redneck construction around here) and a trigger snap on baling twine on the open side to hold it closed. Not sure if that's what you're looking for?

no pics yet . I have some time to re purpose it , but it is typical metal stakes , about 5 feet , with hard 1/2" by 1" holes in steel wire fencing.
I'll get at it soon to re size the area .. I just have no good idea on an opening , that shuts pretty tight . I guess I can overlap , and stretch , close to get in and out , but I'd like something better.do you know what I mean? metal stakes , mesh wire .. how to make a gate ? it should be a common thing I'd guess? Thanks.

I'm talking about 2 ducks , not a flock. but I still want entry to a safe pen. this is pet stuff . but I want the pets safe.

Get a couple brass bolt snaps from the hardware store or feed store, and snap them on where the overlap is.

Back
Top Bottom