1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting a piece of Copper in water to stop Algae growth?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickeman, May 18, 2010.

1. chickeman

chickeman New Egg

May 18, 2010
    A friend recently told me that you can put a piece of copper in your water and it will help stop algae from growing. I tried looking it up on google but couldn't find anything specifically about it. Has anyone else heard of doing this? Does it work? Could it pose any health risks to chickens?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Years ago my dad threw a penny in the dogs water bucket. It didn't have algae, until the copper wore off the penny and it was just zinc. But then the dogs probably didn't get a sore throat. I do no know why we do not do it now. Read up on ACV (apple cider vinegar) there are a lot of posts on it for use in the water. Supposed to be good all around...I don't know why we don't do that either. (because the husband is a non believer, that's why.)

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I can imagine a bird drowning trying to fetch the shiny thing at the bottom (or am I the only one with ADD birds?)

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Scientifically it could work

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have never heard of it, but adding a few pennies I wouldn't think would hurt anything..just keep an eye on it.

6. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    So what is the benefit to just washing your waterer? fresh water is better than slimey alge water. Just scrub it and refresh the water.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Vinegar WILL reduce algae!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So what is the benefit to just washing your waterer? fresh water is better than slimey alge water. Just scrub it and refresh the water.

With the copper you don't HAVE to scrub algae, since it inhibits the growth, and they still get fresh water​

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I've always put a few pennies in our birdbath to keep it from growing. It works.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've heard of putting a Silver coin in a pitcher of milk stops it from souring when left out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by