1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting addition on coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken pickin, Oct 6, 2012.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    So I have a small coop that I was using for my 2BBWs over the summer. They were recently processed and since the small coop was vacant I couldnt help myself but get more chicks. So I decided to put an addition on it and make a small chicken coop. The first pics are of before

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ANd here is the progress from yesterdays build
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

edited to make the pics larger

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good job.
    People are often reluctant to add on when they obviously need more space.

3. mo puff

mo puff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    great idea and youve made it twice its size! I feel kind of silly having such a large coop for just 3 chickens but have been told it is hard to introduce new chickens to an already established group? After reading how many birds you have in this space.. and many others have as well.. i would like to bring in more chickens. Any advise?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Easiest to introduce like numbers and like sizes.

The most important thing is to quarantine new birds a minimum of 2 weeks at least 40 ft. away from your others. Care for your birds first each day, then the new ones and then wash up. Seemingly healthy birds can go downhill fast and some things are extremely contagious.

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I have no advice on introducing new chickens to old chickens. Accept for the quarentine advice. Always quarentine to protect your exsisting flock. I have 4 Japanese Bantams in quarentine now in my garage . Today is the 2 week mark. But they will wait to go into the new coop when its finished(hopefully a few days). Then I have 4 Marans chicks in my house in the brooder under heat. When they are big enough they will go outside and join the bantams. This new coop is roughly 4x6 and yes we did double the size) and It will house 2 of the japanese bantams(rehoming 2) And hopefully the 4 marans if they all turn out to be girls. So 6 total. The run is going to be 8x8 with a covered roof to protect from weather. My other chicken coop is a little larger and houses 12 chickens with a 12x12 run.

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Mo puff I just looked at your coop pics and I love it. Such a cute house and run! Very nicely done[​IMG]

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    You've clearly run into one of those fundamentals of chicken math: Expansionism.

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Chicken math is definitely the kind of adding and subtracting im doing. I started out with our flock of 12 chickens(was supposed to be 6-8) then deciced to try turkeys got 2 BBWs. I liked their personalities and decided I would miss them when they go to freezer camp so I got 5 heritage turkeys(bourbon reds) to keep around for breeding(yay babies) While I still had the Bourbons in the brooder I thought hey Im already gonna have turkeys in the freezer why not raise a batch of CX So I ordered 25+1free extra(26) Well all of the birds were great to raise. We now have a freezer full of turkeys and chickens and the tractor and the little house was empty so I went to the chicken swap and saw 4 tiny japanese bantams and I thought hey that tiny house I have would make a cute bantam house. Well 1 week after buying them I was possitive I had 1 hen and 3 roos. Of course we cant have 3 roos So I will rehome 2 roos and keep the pair(yay more babies). Now I got concerned about the 2 bantams alone in the cold winter and thought some bigger girls will keep them warm sooooo I HAD to go get the new marans chicks(4 of them) fingers crossed for girls. This is all since spring. My husband asked me to not get anymore til next spring atleast. But I told him there is a chicken swap today lol and he said YOUR GOING ARENT YOU? LOL Ill try not too. Sorry for the ramble But I do love my chickens and turkeys.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    So I decided against the chicken swap today See I have will power lol. And we are moving forward with the build. Heading outside now to continue working. I will update pics later today.

10. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Here is todays progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Almost done[​IMG] Tomorrow we will plexiglass the door to cover the wire and add the roost in the back "room" lol of the coop. Then I will paint... Hmmmm.... Not sure of a color. Any suggestions would be nice. And next We are building a covered run. Hopefully this week. I am liking the turnout so far. Many thanks to my dad for his building skills[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by