putting adult ducks together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dandar, Mar 15, 2015.

1. dandar

dandar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    central nebraska
    I have a pair of blue/black swedish ducks, i went to the swap meet and got a beautiful buff colored Khaki duck..he is awesome (i say HE ) cuz i was told he was a male...okay, now I get him home put him my "isolation" cage and they have "f2f" contact..I did let them out (per free advice) and was told that the males would have to get a pecking order..but i only let them together about an hour, cuz my male swedish just would not leave the buff alone..so i went out this am and in the pen with my rooster and the buff khaki...i found an egg!!!! i no it didn't come from my rooster....SO NOW I HAVE A FEMALE KHAKI....
    after the experience that my male swedish and buff yesterday. I am wondering when and how I should join these 2....btw the female swedish, pays no mind to the buff. I am going to continue (for safety /health check reasons) will keep the buff Khaki seperated for a while yet.
    I am a fime believer in "adjusting periods"
    but what i don't understand is WHY my drake had it out for her, and yet not the female....do i need to get a male buff (which was my intention) anyway...is it the pecking order, or will this male swedish kill the buff????
    thanks

2. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Territory? Probably not sure about a new strange duck showing up in his territory all of a sudden. If you can separate them, but let them see each other, after a month or so you could try introducing them again.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Sometime they just pick one to go after. When I introducted 2 new flock members my girls got along very quickly with the female but would not leave my new male alone. It took about a week or two before they started to let up enough I was comfortable locking everyone in a at night together. Now he has finally put the girls in their place and he is the man around here. I've had for about a month and a half now. A fence where they can see each other for a few days would be good and then take it slowly from there.

4. dandar

dandar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    central nebraska
    i have been letting them all together about an hour a day SUPERVISED and the male just chases the new FEMALE buff and won't let her near the pond or anything however they do try to have a 3 some when he gets a hold of her[​IMG]..seems like the female swedish seems like she is trying to teach the buff ??? would it help if i got more females about this age OR what will happen if i get more...i keep the buff seperated with my rooster buff orphington who is tearing the girls backs up ....planning to add more hens this spring ( i hope) i have about 3-4 acres all fenced so let the ducks and chickens forage together, and works well..I have been housing everyone together at night and seem to get along at night.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by