Putting Away My Incubator Until February

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 2, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    [​IMG]

It's getting too darn cold to put chicks out in the brooder. I've got my single one there and while he or she is warm and toasty, I can't guarantee things won't get worse in December. In fact, I know we get stints of minus temps, so I figure I'm going to have to wait to put more eggs in the incubator.

Sigh. No more hatching.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] Good luck with that. I've heard it a thousand times!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Awe and I just pulled my out a few weeks ago!! [​IMG] Here we have to stop around June cause it's just to darn hot!! I know some still do but I don't wanna take a chance with 110+ weather!!

I'm sure you'll be hathcing again before you know it!! [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's hard when you are a hatch-a-holic... I'll will be giving mine a rest too pretty soon. I don't hatch in the summer either. It's just too hot. My boys go on strike too. It gets to hot for them to mate the girls.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Well, the chickens are slowing down on laying. Dang molt, weird weather and other things. The rest are youngsters and too young to lay. I'm getting about 4 eggs a day out of 15 hens (4 are completely not laying because of the molt and 4 are pullets). [​IMG] So, really not that many eggs to stick in the incubator anyway. [​IMG]

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Yea - I said the same thing just a few weeks ago. Just this week I ordered a bunch of hatching eggs. Guess I'm going to crank up the bator one more time.

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Yeah, but you're in Tennessee, no offense. It's already in the 20s here.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.

I feel for ya'll.. I can't imagine it being that cold so early!! Kinda like the heat for us. I swear we didn't have a spring this year at all. By the begining of April it was already in the 90's.

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

I feel for ya'll.. I can't imagine it being that cold so early!! Kinda like the heat for us. I swear we didn't have a spring this year at all. By the begining of April it was already in the 90's.

We had brutal weather this summer in South Texas! 110* and for long stretches well over 100* . It is easier to incubate now that the temps are nicely cooling down [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:So true... We went from winter to summer in one week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by