Putting Baby Chicks Outside in the winter in Abilene Texas!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcp97b, Jan 3, 2010.

1. tcp97b

tcp97b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Hi,

I'm new here and have received for Christmas ten new baby chicks from the feed store. Production Reds, Delawares, Gold Laced Wyandottes, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are around five weeks old and have most of their feathers, although some have back feathers (right in front of their tails - between the wings) and their head feathers coming in. I would like to get them into their 8x12 enclosed coop because yesterday I noticed several had bright red dots of fresh blood on them. Closer examination revealed it is where feathers were, and today I saw one of the Delawares with one of the Red's feathers in it's beak. They are currently in a box that is a little larger than 2x3, which I thought would be enough room since they were very crowded at the feed store, but I realize they may need more room. I am in Abilene, Texas and am concerned that they will be too cold at night. Typically we get down to slightly below freezing at night and warm up to the upper 40's/50's in the day, but lately it has been much cooler. Later this week night time lows are forecast to be around 10 degrees. Will they be OK outside with a heat lamp and pine shavings or should I go find a refrigerator box for them?

Thanks for the help!

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    At five weeks they should be at 75 degrees. I have some out in my coop with a heat lamp and they are under four weeks old. They are in a rabbit hutch, inside and insulated coop with a heat lamp on them. I personally wouldn't put them out unless they had a heat lamp. that being said, they are dangerous if not secured properly and have the safety wires intact. I have mine clamped, zip tied, and fasteners screwed over the cords. They aren't going anywhere!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by