Putting Baby Chicks Outside - Let's talk about it!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KendyF, Sep 2, 2014.

1. KendyF

KendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    I have read many posts on here regarding putting baby chicks outside, most seem to feel the chicks must be fully feathered. Here are my thoughts, and I would like to hear discussion on this.

After observing my Broody Hen mothers I realized these chicks do not stay anywhere near 95 degrees on the first week. However they are likely warmed to that temp several times a day. Over the summer with hot days and mild nights I successfully put chicks outside after a week several times. (after a couple of days, during warm to hot days, and then put them in a box at night). I only put them out in groups of 8-10, so they keep each other warm. I find the chicks who get outside earlier are usually hardier and dominate the chicks who for whatever reason stay in the brooder longer.

The nights are now getting cooler, and I don't think I will get away with 1 week, but I am wondering if anyone else puts there chicks out long before they are fully feathered.

(In the middle of the winter, I would definitely wait until fully feathered)

Why when talking about chicks outside do people never talk about weather, conditions, number of chicks, etc?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I put my chicks out at 3 and a half weeks. It was only 50 degrees at night too. They are doing reat still. Before I knew anything I raised one chick in my house without a heat lamp at all and she did fine! She's living on a farm now....

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Rain and wind need to be blocked. When it comes to rain it takes about two weeks before they get smart enough to avoid it. Too few chicks and they get chilled, too many on even a mild night and some are likely to be smoothered. I can leave them to roost in high grass overnight because they are protected by dogs but they are still very vulnerable to dew in the early morning hours.

4. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks for the response, 3.5 weeks is what I have always considered very safe. But I have never hatched winter chicks before, and I do plan on hatching on into the fall. :)

5. KendyF

Jun 18, 2014
    Yes, here the coolest time is early am. Also we don't get much rain, but had 15 day old chicks outside today they did fine, but I locked them in the warmer coop for the night in case they are damp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by