1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting Big Mama & chicks back with the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by branston, Oct 9, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Big Mama's (one of my Silkie hens) chicks are 19 days old now. Her and the chicks have been in my dining room (in a brooder) since she hatched the chicks. Is now a safe time to put her & the chicks back with the flock? Many thanks

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Do you know how protective she is with them? I had a mama that would not go after anything, and she ended up losing all her chicks to the ducks. This second time, I put her with a extremely mean mama and they do a good job of keeping others away.

I waited until they were 4 weeks before I put them in with the big guys. Could you build a little pen next to the big one so they an see each other? That was you could get them out of the house.

3. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I put my chicks and hen back with my flock at three weeks. So, it really does depend on how protective your momma is- when you put your hand in the brooder pen, how does she react? If she attacks you she will attack the other chickens when they get too close. Or does she step back and let you have your way with the chicks? If so, keep her and the chicks seperated for a bit longer. Your other chickens may care less about the chicks, you can always put them in and see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by