Putting bobwhites together

Discussion in 'Quail' started by moeell1, Aug 1, 2010.

1. moeell1

moeell1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Ok before anyone goes off and says do not do it, I all ready did, it's been 24 hours, you see I have 4 different hatching, the first two hatched close enough together that they have always been together, the 3rd hatched like a week after the 1/2 and the 4th group hatched 2 weeks after, so I have the 1-3 all together and they've done great, I put in the 4th group yesterday, and well there was some fights, nothing serious but they are separated, the 1-3 bunch are all together and the younger ones are in the coop.......I only have one big outdoor change, they can fly in it, have weeds and it's the best for them just wondering if anyone had success putting there bobwhites together? If it doesn't work I'll take the babies out but I'm really hoping it does!! The cage is huge lots of places to hide!

2. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    When mine are young they all seem to get along (bobwhite, gambel, coturnix, button, african harlequin) but when I introduce adults to each other there is always fighting. If they are raised together they seem to get along much better, I would keep an eye on them during breeding season.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If They Are Close In Age And Done At A Early Time In Their Lives .... Say 3 Wks Old Or Less They Will Often Accept Newbies... But After That It Gets Pretty Ugly. If I Have To Combine Chick Batches I Do So As Early As Possible Or They Get A Seperate Pen Until Adult Sized When They Are Big Enough To Defend Themselves.

If You Choose Or Are Forced To Wait Until Full Sized Then Would Be The Time To Place All Of Them Togather In The Large Aviary You Describe.... If You Place The Older Ones In There Now And Try To Add The Younger Ones In A Couple Of Months Once Full Sized The Birds That Have Been Estabolished In The Aviary Will Violently Defend Their Turf To The Death--- The Moral Of The Story Here Is Until Your Sure They Get Along Dont Place Anyone In The Big Pen.... As You Will Need It To Be Nuetral Territory To All When You Do Combine The Entire Group.

4. moeell1

moeell1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    So what is adult age? They are all in the big coop all ready!!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bobs Range In Adult Size Ages Depending On The Strain Could Be Anywhere From 14 -24 Wks Of Age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by