putting chickens and turkeys together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smom1976, Jun 11, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok so we have some chicks.. they best ever they are great.. I have a great pen for them. My DH is having a desire to get a turkey.. one turkey... thanksgiving dinner turkey.... (not sure if I am ready for the eating part) can I put a turkey in with the chickens? has anyone done this?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Yes I did this. I thought I bought 2 turkeys but one ended up being a chicken! I put them in with 15 chickens, I think she (Ginny) thought she was a chicken, but now acts more like a dog! lol. and they are still living together fine.
    Now as far as the Thanksgiving thing...... I don't know, my turkey is very social and we have celebrated 2 Thanksgivings with her alive! Besides she lays me an egg everyday! She is a funny bird.
    So I have heard that you shouldn't keep them together because of sickness, but mine have been fine.
    Good luck.

3. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    NO!!!!!! You can give the turkey a disease called black head. Its a disease that chickens carry that doesnt affect them, but kills turkeys. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!

4. reteP

reteP Out Of The Brooder

I agree with lovethe chickens advice. Chicken can be carriers but not affected by a parasite that can infect turkeys. I have no first hand experience but it is supposedly a very nasty disease.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If Blackhead has been in your area then it's a very bad idea! However, I have seen it more than once that if Blackhead is NOT a problem in your area, then you should be fine. Maybe ask around and see if there have been any cases in your area.

6. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    For the past 3 years I have raised my turkeys with my cornishxrocks for my thanksgiving turkey. I do about 15 a year and give them to friends and family.

I haven't had one die from any disease. Mostly either stupid things the turkeys did or dogs.

If you keep your coops clean and tidy you shouldn't have any problems with disease.

Good Luck, If ya have anymore questions about turkeys feel free to send me a PM

Nick

As a note I found this website for you. Like I said earlier if you keep your coop clean you shouldn't have a problem as you can read in this article. Don't be afraid of black head.

http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/blackhead_disease.htm

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by