putting chicks of different ages together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by miabyrer, Apr 16, 2011.

1. miabyrer

miabyrer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Walkerton, IN
    I have six week old pullets about to go outside into their new coop (as soon as I finish building it) I am getting a few more chicks this week. My question is this... once the youngest are 6 weeks old we will move them outside as well. Are there any special considerations I need to take into account when adding the 6 week old chicks in with the 12 week old chicks? I don't want the little ones picked on.
    Thanks

2. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I am not an expert but from all the reading that I have done and questions I have asked of seasoned vetrans, my suggestion by the time they are 6 and 12 weeks old they should do fine.....the sounding suggestion I have heard about putting older birds together is to introduce the new birds to the flock at night in the dark! Good Luck!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would not put them together until the youngest birds are 12-14 weeks old. At 14 weeks they are all going to be about the same size, and size does matter in the chicken world. You put your youngsters in at 6 weeks and they are going to get beaten up because they will be too small. I start integrations at 12 weeks, but don't actually let the birds physically mingle until 2 weeks later. That 2 weeks is dedicated to them all getting used to the sight and presence of each other without actually being able to touch each other.

Here's a great link on integration. I recommend everyone read it because it is so educational and informative.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

I hope this helps. Good luck.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:What CMV said. It's what I do, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by