1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting chicks outside in the winter time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Muffinburgler, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    My chicks are six weeks old yesterday (minus two which are around 3 weeks old) and they're getting pretty big for their brooder. They're also making the house so stinky! I live in California so our winter isn't too harsh. Our days are around 55-65 and our nights won't drop below 40 until January or later, but they're still chilly enough I'd worry. When would you say is a good age to move them outside with those kind of temperatures?

2. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    Are they fully feathered yet? Your weather would be fine for them if they are. How I wish for your weather! What kind are they?

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    The oldest look to be fully feathered, the youngest two are still little fuzzballs, so they definitely won't be going out any time soon.

They're all a mix of things :) Naked necks, barred rock, brahma, road island red, orpington, jersey giant, sex links . . . I think that's all the different kinds!

4. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    Besides your fuzz butts and maybe the naked necks...all should be good. Just don't know about them naked necks...never had them before. Are they off the heat lamp?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Start acclimating them to cooler temps slowly. That will encourage good feather growth.

Not sure about the naked necks tho.

6. mellcrowl

mellcrowl Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    I agree with getting them acclimated nice and slow. But they should be fine. Morning were I'm at are 20° and I have a broody hen with 5 four week old chicks that are doing fine outside. Mom does a great job keeping them warn and cozy. Then again my babies ate outside under mom in the chick run at day one. I'm sure its a little different for chicks used to a warmhouse and brooder ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by