Putting chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenndera, Oct 16, 2014.

1. jenndera

jenndera Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Mantua, NJ
    I have some 3 week old chicks. I know 6 weeks is acceptable to move them outside, however the temperature here in NJ is starting to drop. I am thinking that in 3 more weeks it will be 60s during the day (which is fine) but 40s at night. Is it safe to put them out in the coop (but keep them in their brooder) with the heat lamp attached?

Thanks!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You really shouldn't put chicks to the coop until they are fully feathered out, heat lamp or not...too risky in my book.

3. Czarben

Czarben Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Hastings, MI
    I put my four RIR's out in the coop at four weeks without heat. The highs were in the 50's and lows in the 40's. They did just fine. When I checked them in the morning they were acting like it was just a normal day.

4. jenndera

Aug 15, 2011
    Mantua, NJ

They aren't fully feathered at 6 weeks old?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My brooder is in the coop. I put chicks in there straight out of the incubator. Last February it was below freezing when they went in. As long as you can provide an area that is warm enough they will do well.

I’ve had chicks go through a night with lows in the mid 20’s Fahrenheit when they were less than 6 weeks old with no supplemental heat. The unheated coop they were in was well ventilated up high but had really good draft protection. And they were acclimated. My brooder is big enough that the far end cools off a lot more than the warm end. They play in the cold end a lot and just go back to the heat when they need to warm up. That way they get acclimated and feather out even faster and better.

I don’t know what your coop looks like or if you have adult chickens out there already, but you can move that brooder out there since you obviously have electricity out there.

If you can safely heat an area you might be able to just use the coop as your brooder and just heat one spot in that, but the food and water needs to be in a warm spot. That warm spot for food and water does not need to be hot, just somewhat warm. At three weeks age they should adjust to that really quickly and enjoy all the space.

6. cehasz

cehasz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    I have actually put a heat lamp in the transition coop. Last winter when temperatures dropped really low, I had chicks out there at 3 weeks because the heat lamp kept it warm enough! The only one I lost was the one who decided to sneak out in the middle of the night and didn't find his way back up the ramp!

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    The OP to this thread stated ... "I have some three week old chicks." At that age I think they're too young to go to the coop.

8. jenndera

Aug 15, 2011
    Mantua, NJ
    I wrote that I know 6 weeks is acceptable but I am worried that in 3 weeks (when they are 6 weeks old) it will be too cold for them. I never had any intention of putting them out at 3 weeks. I was asking if those temps will be too cold at 6 weeks.

9. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    I've had 11 chicks in the coop since last week and they range from 3 days to 3 weeks and with just a heat lamp and group body heat they seem to be doing just fine.

10. Callitxan

Callitxan New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    I am in TX where it is currently 70 with a forecasted low of 50 this week. I moved my brooder to the back porch with a heat lamp and I plan to cover it at night. Do you think three 2 wk old barred rock's should do okayor should they remain in the house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by