Putting chicks together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jaimi, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    Last week, I bought 2 chicks from TSC. I'm going again today and I think I'm going to get 2 more. Will it be ok to but them in the brooder together? They are only a ~week apart.
    I'll probably be builting a bigger brooder though, since the 2 I have now are in a tubberware container they won't be big eoungh for 4 chicks.

2. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Should be fine. Close enough in age. I would watch them carefully for first day.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I added two 2 week old chicks to my one week old chicks and they were absolutely fine together. Not one single problem.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    Thanks everyone! I put them together and they are doing fine.
    I got 2 more pullets [well, the guy at the store said they were]: a old fashion dominicker and a RIR.
    I'll get pics ASAP when they all get settled in.

Also, how many weeks do you keed chicks in a brooder? Untill they are fully feathered??

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Fully feathered and they still need some warmth if it's cold outside. I've read here that a heat source of around 60 degrees at night is recommended until your chicks are able to keep themselves warm and that is usually more then just a few weeks. I don't know what your night time temps are there but I would wait. I put my first batch of chicks outside at 8 weeks in the last part of August and by the time Sept rolled around they were aclimated to a cooler night temp and they did fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by