Putting chicks together?

Jaimi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 1, 2008
North Central Alabama
Last week, I bought 2 chicks from TSC. I'm going again today and I think I'm going to get 2 more. Will it be ok to but them in the brooder together? They are only a ~week apart.
I'll probably be builting a bigger brooder though, since the 2 I have now are in a tubberware container they won't be big eoungh for 4 chicks.

seafood

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Should be fine. Close enough in age. I would watch them carefully for first day.

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
I added two 2 week old chicks to my one week old chicks and they were absolutely fine together. Not one single problem.

Jaimi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 1, 2008
North Central Alabama
Thanks everyone! I put them together and they are doing fine.
I got 2 more pullets [well, the guy at the store said they were]: a old fashion dominicker and a RIR.
I'll get pics ASAP when they all get settled in.

Also, how many weeks do you keed chicks in a brooder? Untill they are fully feathered??

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
Fully feathered and they still need some warmth if it's cold outside. I've read here that a heat source of around 60 degrees at night is recommended until your chicks are able to keep themselves warm and that is usually more then just a few weeks. I don't know what your night time temps are there but I would wait. I put my first batch of chicks outside at 8 weeks in the last part of August and by the time Sept rolled around they were aclimated to a cooler night temp and they did fine.

Top Bottom