1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting chicks under broody, one hatched early

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carolinasculpture, May 2, 2017.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I have a broody and was planning to slip incubator hatched chicks under her. They were supposed to hatch Wed or Thurs, but one hatched yesterday. They others have not shown signs of hatching yet. If I put the early one under the hen now (tonight), will the broody stay put until the others hatch? Should I put the unhatched eggs under her with the hatchling? Will the chick be fine with mom after she/she has been with people? Thanks!

2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Hello,

The only question I could answer is: "will the broody stay put until the others hatch?"
    I don't want to mislead you, but I would recommend not doing that. The hen might stay on the eggs...

But she might assume the baby was born at a normal time and she might think the others are late. That could cause pecking eggs for food.
    (for the baby and stress.) She could pay more attention to the chick, that includes: feeding, exploring, perching and protecting.
    So I do not suggest that, but... She may wait until the chick is old enough for: feeding, exploring, perching and protecting.
    Ya never know!

I hope I am helpful!

Good luck!

-The Angry Hen

3. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    Yes! Thank you. I am going to wait until the others hatch. I have our early bird in an enclosure with a "momma" heating pad. So far he/she seems pretty happy. Ate and drank a bit and is making happy chick sounds. Another egg is pipping. Hope early bird will have a friend soon!

4. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Very good, glad I could help!

5. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Well, I "chickened out". Decided to not try to put the cute little fluffy babies under the mean broody. She has never been friendly like our other chickens because she and her sister were raised wild instead of in our living-room and then their mom died suddenly for reasons unknown, while they were still pretty young. In the long run, only 2 hatched. Going to pick up one more at LFS tomorrow to add a third one for the mix. Maybe we'll try again with a nicer broody...for now, its chicks in the living room again!

6. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by