Putting Cornish rocks outside in the coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RedemptionFarm, Mar 9, 2017.

1. RedemptionFarm

RedemptionFarm Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    I have my first batch of Cornish rock. They are 2 weeks old right now and outgrowing the brooder quickly. I feel like it would be optiminak to wait until they are 3 weeks old and also for the nighttime temperatures to be over 34 degrees, but they are really getting crowded fast. I'm considering putting them out there this week with a heat lamp. My major concern is that this week, the nighttime temperatures are predicted to dip down to 20 degrees a couple of times. This has given me pause, but im getting more and more concerned about them getting too crowded in the brooder. Does anyone have anything to share about their?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think the Cornish will not survive a 20 degree night at that age. Their bodies grow faster than their feathers - bald patches all over. Just my opinion. Cut and paste your post and put it in the Meat Bird Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Guess I should ask...when you say "put them out there" what do you mean? In a comfy coop or just "out?" In a cozy coop with a lamp they would conceivably be alright. Sorry if I jumped to a conclusion. [​IMG]

4. RedemptionFarm

Mar 9, 2017
    Lol! No, I wouldn't just put them outside. It would be in a comfy coop with nice bedding and a heat lamp. I think you are right, it's just so weird adjusting from laying hens to meaties. [​IMG] Still, I was prepared to hate them based on everything I read, but I still think they are sweet little birds!!

5. RedemptionFarm

Mar 9, 2017
    And not even with a heat lamp?

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, I think with a heat lamp they would be okay on a 20 degree night in a coop. Coop fires give some folks on BYC nightmares....still I would try to shrink down the size of their area in the coop so they could still get out of the heat...but that the heat wouldn't dissipate too quickly. I am thinking like partitioning part of it off and maybe even providing a lowered "ceiling" to contain a little heat.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    You are so right. Cornish Cross go from cute to not cute in a flash. They have a freakish growth rate and are gluttonous eaters.

8. RedemptionFarm

Mar 9, 2017
    They're definitely not as cute as laying hens. But they will tast goo come a few weeks! And the ceiling is low on the coop already, so that will help. I like the idea of partitioning off part of it so that they can huddle if they need to, while still giving them area to get away from the heat if necessary. The long and short of it is that the brooder is becoming so crowded I'm afraid they will start to crush each other before another week. I'm amazed at how fast they grow.

9. RedemptionFarm

Mar 9, 2017
    And I will ensure the heat lamp is well away from the bedding.

10. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It sounds like you & redsoxs has this covered so I'll just say hello and good luck with your birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by