Putting day chicks under a broody hen

Shelleyict

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
I have a hen that is broody. This is the 3rd time she has went broody. I just put 4 day old chick's under her and she at first looked a little startled and pecked at one chick but has now let all of them get under her. I have been watching her for about 30 minutes and she seems content and just sitting. She is in the nesting box in the coop. My question is will the other non broody hens leave the chick's alone? Will she protect them? How long should I watch them?

I

I have a hen that is broody. This is the 3rd time she has went broody. I just put 4 day old chick's under her and she at first looked a little startled and pecked at one chick but has now let all of them get under her. I have been watching her for about 30 minutes and she seems content and just sitting. She is in the nesting box in the coop. My question is will the other non broody hens leave the chick's alone? Will she protect them? How long should I watch them?

I
She may or she may not... observation is key. Just in case she doesn’t follow through, have a brooder set up with a heat lamp and food and water. I would however put up some kind of separation or partition in the meantime if you can’t be there to observe longer

Back
Top Bottom