Putting day-old chicks under a determined broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovemychickies, Apr 10, 2009.

1. lovemychickies

lovemychickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Northern CA!!
    Does anybody have experience putting chicks under a broody? She's been laying on unfertile eggs for about a month. I removed the eggs. Another hen kicked her off the nest and laid an egg, so now my broody wants to try and hatch that too. I even tried putting her outside and she just laid down like she was still on her nest!

She needs to get off that nest! It's been way too long. I just got three babies today and wonder if anyone has any tips on how to go about this little adoption. She is in the henhouse with everybody else and has made her nest on the floor.

Help!!

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't personally have any experience with it, but a friend had a bad experience with trying.

We ordered baby chicks as a group. She got 5 and put them under her broody after the hen went to sleep for the night. In the morning when she went to check on them, the hen had killed them all. It was awful. I know folks have luck with it, but it doesn't always go well. She was so upset, she doesn't want to get chicks again now, only full grown hens.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. lovemychickies

Apr 1, 2009
    Northern CA!!
    Eeeeeew. Not a good story. I know it's been done, though!

I was planning on going in pre-dawn tomorrow with a big cup of coffee and staying in the coop with a headlamp [​IMG] until I see how she reacts to the babies. There's no way I'm putting them under her and leaving. Yikes.

More help, please!!

There must be a method to the madness!!

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for the bad story.

5. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i've heard about people slipping the eggs out and slipping babies underneath the hen. like you said, just be there when she wakes up. if they are only one day old, i think she would accept them.

6. lovemychickies

Apr 1, 2009
    Northern CA!!
    Don't apoligize for the bad story! I appreciate the input!

Also, the babies are a day old. They're very tiny and still not cruising around a whole bunch yet. Still in sleepy mode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by