Putting different age chicks together.

mainer92

Hatching
May 6, 2015
A few days ago, we got two chicks from our local feed store, and we'll be getting two more chicks of a different breed next week. So, the chicks will be one week apart. Our brooder is a large plastic tub, and we have an ecoglow20 brooder. I was hoping to put the new chicks in with the older ones. Would that probably be OK? I could also rig a temporary divider for a couple days if needed, but it would be a little tricky with the ecoglow.

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to BYC!
An age difference as slight as your flock will have should not be a problem. That being said, anytime you are mixing birds it is to your benefit to just be extra vigilant in the first few days to be sure that there is no excessive bullying. More than one feed/water station can also help as it makes it more difficult for any one bird, or group of birds, to prevent other birds from having access to feed and water, especially during the initial "getting to know you" period they go through.

TheChickenQueen

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
Eastern Idaho
welcome-byc.gif

If they are a week apart they should be fine. I've got some that are 2 weeks apart together in one brooder. Then another they are 3 weeks apart.
As long as there are not a bunch of the older ones, and they all have space. They should be fine.

Top Bottom